I don't write about me and Spencer much on here, but some of you know that life has not been too easy for us these days. I've been struggling with some pain for a while that just won't seem to go away. Some of our "life plans" have been put on hold as we hope and pray for God to grant me healing. I've always thought of suffering more in the short-term sense. But lately my eyes have been opened to the realities of a more chronic type of suffering. And not just my own, but I see that there is a just a lot of suffering in this world (yes, I lived in Africa, but I think it is more real to me now).
I've been encouraged by some hymns I've read. I was thinking about it and a lot of the hymn writers were men and women who experienced a good deal of suffering in their life. It does seem we grow closer to the Lord when life is not all we'd hoped.
These lines from "Day by Day" have spoken to me this week. Maybe you will find some encouragement as well.
Day by Day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind Beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what he deems best-
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
This hymn is by Lina Sandell, who was the daughter of a Luthern pastor in Sweden. When she was 26 years old she traveled with her father on a boat trip and he fell overboard and drowned before her eyes. This tragedy greatly affected Lina and inspired her to write hymns. This is the sovereign God we serve. And because of that we have hope.
Hey Kari- Will be praying for you in all this. Life has thrown us more curveballs and detours than I can count since our marriage, so I do understand (somewhat) of how you feel. Will be praying for His peace to reign in your heart. Sang "God Moves in Mysterious Ways" this morning at church (the old hymn version). Words are powerful. Read it if you get a chance.
ReplyDelete