Phoenix had 43 Indian restaurants, which is right up our alley. We found a great little Indian complex with a restaurant, grocery store, clothing, and salon. Every time we visit a new city we always try to eat Indian food...it didn't disappoint. They had two bicycle rickshaws outside which added to the ambiance.
After dinner we walked a little on the Tempe Town Lake walk in the 103 degree heat and watched the sunset. But I didn't even hardly sweat! Loved the dry heat. Spencer was ready to move there. It was definitely a lot better than the humid Ohio Valley!
Spencer found a neat hole-in-the-wall authentic Mexican restaurant that was amazing! Had the best green chile chicken and bean burrito ever and it was only $3.95. They are known for their fresh tortillas made daily. We definitely felt like we were in a 3rd world country and loved it! We also got pizza from Z's pizza, a fresh organic gourmet pizza place that reminded me of our beloved BoomBozz in Louisville. (By the way we find most all our unique restaurants from Urban Spoon, a great online resource for restaurant info and reviews.)
We were surprised that the mountains surrounded the city like they do. So after my procedure while I napped Spencer went to hike up Piestewa Peak, the second highest peak in Phoenix at 2608 feet, in the 112 degree mid-day heat. Had I known he was going to do that I probably would have discouraged his adventure. He didn't make it all the way, and thankfully turned down when he realized he didn't have enough water, nor was he prepared for hiking in the desert heat.
He did get some good views and pictures though.
We enjoyed watching a dust storm from our hotel window.
The day after my procedure I wanted to try to drive up to Camelback Moutain, which is the highest peak in Phoenix, and has great views overlooking the city. However, we didn't take into account the dust storm or the effects of the anesthesia and pain medications I had on board from my procedure.
I did get a highly desired picture with a cactus though!
Despite the circumstances for the travel, we always enjoy going to new places and the amenities of being in a big city.
No comments:
Post a Comment