July 21, 2010

By nature, I am a doer. While I like the idea of reading, I am unfortunately not a "reader". I just feel like I need to be doing something instead. Lately, I can't quite do all the things I used to or I'd like to so I've been trying to read some. Several friends have recommended I read Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss.

It is a journal of a young woman in the 1800's and her journey with the Lord through life's ups and downs. I have picked it up from time to time (as I do with a lot of books),but have never read it completely. I was reading some the other night and found this quote that spoke to me.

..."God's children please Him just as well when they sit patiently with folded hands, if that is His will, as when they are hard at work. But to be at work, to be useful,to be necessary to my husband and children is just what I want...I see now that my first desire has not been to please God but to please myself...


Powerful words. I often think, but how can not being able to "do" be more glorifying to God than serving Him? But that is where we often get it wrong...serving is not about "doing". It is about obeying and loving and seeking to please God in any and all of life's circumstances. Too often the "doing" is more about us and the way it makes us feel than about Him.

On a lighter note.

Naomi on the other hand is definitely a reader. She must get that from her daddy. He's the fastest reader I know!

She loves to look at books. I find her in her room a lot of times with all her books around her talking to herself and "reading" her books :)

1 comment: