So I got the idea from another friend in the blogging world to try a new recipe each week and post it on Tuesdays. I probably won't be able to do it every Tuesday, but I love trying new recipes. Today's recipe is actually in my crockpot cooking right now so I can't give you a verdict of whether I think it's a 'keeper' or not, but it comes from my favorite recipe website by The Crockpot Lady
Crockpot Applesauce Chicken
-4 small frozen chicken breast halves
-1 cup natural (no sugar added) applesauce
-1/2 cup water
-1 T dried onion flakes
-1 T apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp minced garlic
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Spray crockpot stoneware with non-stick cooking spray then place frozen chicken breasts in the bottom. Mix applesauce, vinegar, and spices together and put over the chicken. Then cover with 1/2 cup water. (The Crockpot Lady used 1 1/2 cups of applesauce and no water so you could try that too...I was afraid it might be too dry and I'd like to have a little 'sauce' with it).
Cook on low for 5-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
I have a 4 quart Rival crockpot that cooks rather fast so I'm probably going to cook on high for an hour then cook on low for about 3-4 hours. I plan to serve it with some brown rice and salad. We like spicy food so I have a feeling 1/4 tsp red pepper won't be enough for us, but we'll just add on more at the end if we need it. We seriously need to buy red peper flakes in bulk...we go through it fast!
If anybody (I don't even know if very many people read my blog :)) actually tries this recipe let me know what you think or what you would do different. I'll try to post an update later about how I think it turned out.
**UPDATE**
So I should have listend to Crockpot Lady and done 1 1/2 cups of applesauce and no water. My 'sauce' turned out too watery and ironically the chicken was kind of dry (but that's probably because my crockpot cooks fast and I left it in too long). The seasoning was decent so I think with more applesauce and no water it would be an 'ok' recipe. More than likely I won't make this again unless I need something quick and easy to cook and don't have time to go to the grocery :)
Sounds good though! Let's try grinding some of my dried peppers from the garden (: Love you...MOM
ReplyDeleteI've been looking at the crocket pot lady's blog since I read about it on your blog. So far I've only made one thing, the pasta fagioli soup. It was really good. It makes a ton and was pretty easy to make. I plan on trying more of her recipes because I like the ease of crock pots. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete