June 28, 2009

Pregnancy old wives tales...

Yesterday while at Walmart a lady in line behind me asked, 'you having a boy?' I said, 'No, actually it's a girl'. She said, 'Really, you sure are carrying low for it to be a girl.' I said 'yeah, I've been carrying pretty low during the whole pregnancy.' She said, 'well you must be pretty far along then....the baby must have already dropped.' I said, 'I've got about 7 weeks or so to go, I'm 33 weeks.' Then she said, 'are you sure it's not a boy....I've never been wrong.' I was like, 'well, I did have an ultrasound but there's always a chance it could be wrong.' She continued to talk about others she had known that had carried high or low and whether they were girls or boys. I asked her if she was a labor and delivery nurse or something since she seemed to have so much experience (she wasn't) :) It was pretty funny. She seemed almost hurt that I wasn't having a boy!

There are so many wives tales. One says if the baby's heartrate is greater than 140 then it's a girl. Naomi's has been greater than 140 every time, even up into the 150-160's at times. But she is really active and has some pretty hard kicks (and you know that means it's a boy). But I am carrying more of 'basketball' shape rather than a 'football' so that means it's a girl. But I didn't have a lot of morning sickness (just some nausea at random times) so that means it's probably a boy. Apparently these 'tales' are accurate about 50-55% of the time :)

And just for the truth from a medical standpoint....the shape and height of an expectant woman's belly is determined by her muscle tone, uterine tone, the baby's weight, and the position the baby is in not the sex of the baby. Maybe I'll meet that lady in Walmart again after the baby is born so we can see who was right! :)

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh... I love how certain everyone is when they express their opinions. There were times that I took in a deep breath and gave myself a pep talk before stepping into the grocery store or the like-- had to gear up for the barrage of comments. I do remember one time when I was at work in the cafeteria and a MAN looked over at me and said: "A girl?" I smiled and said "Yes". He responded with an estimation of my weeks which was surprisingly accurate and I said "Yes, good job!". Then he said one more thing that was also right and smiled and walked away. It was refreshing. Very mild but also accurate. A small, but valuable gift for a very pregnant mommy. You get tired of "defending" your case or just listening to other people's opinions on the image you are displaying in front of their eyes. :) I think you look fabulous-- just hope you are feeling the same. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete