May 5, 2009

25 weeks



Here I am at 25 weeks. I know most people think I still don't look pregnant. But I have gained over 20lbs which is plenty for how far along I am. I'd be lying to say I still don't worry all the time that I'm not big enough or not 'showing' enough. But my doctor acts like everything is going fine. I keep reminding people and myself that I still have over 3 months till Naomi is 'due'. Recently a retired OB nurse of 30 years made my day when she thought I was around 6 or 7 months pregnant (i was 24 weeks at the time). My mom asked her to guess by looking at me what I was having. She said, 'well you are carrying awfully low so I'd guess a girl' (an old wives tale says you carry low with a girl and high with a boy)...she was right on the money with both guesses :) I keep telling myself surely in the next month I will 'pop' out. Most importantly I know Naomi is in God's hands and I have to trust Him to take care of her.

Last night we had our second childbirth class. I really wanted Spencer to take it so that he would feel more comfortable and also hopefully be able to help me through the delivery. So far it hasn't been the most educational for me, but last night we started learning some relaxation techniques which will hopefully be beneficial. I'd love to give birth without pain medication, but I'm just going to do the best I can to prepare and trust God will give me the birth experience He wants me to have. We did learn that the average first time mom expends the same amount of energy giving birth as compared to walking 16 miles (which is why it's so important to continue to exercise, etc). Honestly to me, I'd rather just walk the 16 miles than give birth! :)

I'm still working two twelve hour shifts a week. I am making it but they are pretty hard on me. Even though I don't 'look' pregnant I don't feel like I did pre-pregnancy and get tired much easier. Today I got kind of weak, started sweating, and thought I was going to pass out. The other nurses took me in an open room and check my blood pressure and blood sugar. My blood pressure runs low normally and I tend to not drink enough (especially when I am at work) so I think maybe I got a little dehydrated. Thankfully I started feeling better (it was reasurring to feel Naomi kicking while they were checking me out) and made it through the shift.

As for Spencer (since I know this blog seems to only be about me and the pregnancy), he's busy trying to finish this semester of online classes with a paper and final exams. He is such a great student...I don't know how he works almost 40 hours a week, is a full-time graduate student, and either teaches or preaches every week at church. Unfortunately he only gets a few days off and then he starts his summer classes (he's taking 2 online). It will be good though because he will only have to take 2 next semester when Naomi is first born instead of 3. Even though he's so busy he still finds time to be with me and is so good about helping me when I don't feel so good. God has truly blessed me with an amazing husband!

2 comments:

  1. kari! I totally think you look pregnant in that pic! you're a trooper for working 12 hours shifts while pregnant! whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look preg :) It's funny that everyone carries babies so differently. I get a torpedo belly but I have a friend that never looks pregnant - really! She was 8 months pregnant and had to fly somewhere and none of the flight attendants or anyone asked her anything or for any papers. She always gets frustrated because she doesn't look pregnant (she's had 3 kids now too and still never looks pregnant). I, on the other hand, look very close to your size right now and I'm only 9.5 weeks ;) haha! It's much nicer afterwards if you don't get huge in your pregnancy! :)

    That's funny that the OB nurse said it was a girl b/c you were carrying low :) I carried so low with my girl - everyone thought I was going to have a boy :)

    ReplyDelete